Saturday, May 22, 2010

Sharing an e-mail I just sent to the smut-producers who cut me off from smut.

To the editor:

I am a gourmet, a fashionista, I understand culture and appreciate a great drink, I am a trendsetter, I live among art and beauty, I am, to be so bold, the culmination of your target audience: a gay twenty-something who achieves (or aspires to achieve) wealth, beauty, great sex and perfect fashion. I was, to say the least, disappointed to receive this publication in lieu of my usual subscription to Unzipped. I understand the fate of other publications (i.e. Inches, Honcho, Seattle P.I.), and know that the age of print media must change or perish. My concern is twofold. First I believe that OUT, a stellar publication (as evidence, the interview with John Waters), does not have any content which I would classify as smut. Secondly, something about being gay is the appreciation of smut (i.e. the now online-only Unzipped). The Internet has made it easy to enjoy smut for a low cost, or for free. This is also the reason I've lost a treasured magazine. I only lament because I've lost an important part of myself: something I can put on my coffee table for shock value or something I can put away when my family visits. I am riding the wave of the future, but I want to have my creature comforts, too. Thanks for all the memories, Unzipped, I'll find you online or wherever you pop up (like under my bed).

Michael Espinoza
Walla Walla, WA

(As a postscript, please send this response to John Waters if you don't print it. We may have the same taste levels, although with different contexts.)

No comments:

Post a Comment