Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Sharing about going places

Writing is a refuge. I come here whenever I need some time away to process and decompress. I come here when there's a problem I need to solve.

My life alarm clock is about to go off, but I'm already awake, dreading the baleful sound of the buzzer. Anticipating the sound, I can already hear it, but there doesn't seem to be an effective snooze. I'll go make coffee and try to get ready. Ready for what, however, is unknown.

I'm approaching six months of perpetual four-day weekends with one goal: marathon season. I need a few more goals and one big goal. I could fail at a new pursuit or feel sorry for myself. I could do some research, or read a lot, or find out new ways to be cheap. I am coming to terms with not knowing, freeing and scary at the same time, coming to terms with the inescapable pressures of my own responsibility. For the time being, though, a list will suffice:

Save money
Run, run, run
Keep it clean
Plan for five years
Get rid of car
Be more loving than ever
Catch up on reading

So far, it's a scratch at the surface, but it's a start. I've already proven that I can do anything. It's time to hit the ground running.

Wa-mbulence alert: I'm coming to remember/understand/dislike that I was constantly encouraged to be average and succeed at anything un-extraordinary, not to draw attention, to have reasonable dreams. This has been a major impediment, and for as easy as it would be to hide behind it, it will be quite difficult to overcome it. This is a challenge I'm willing to confront.

No comments:

Post a Comment